[Gllug] SMC 7401BRA

French, Alastair Alastair.French at racalinstruments.com
Tue Apr 22 06:54:39 UTC 2003

Sorry for the delay in replying, this is my work account, easter hols and
all that!

I am using two fixed IPs but the only public one is the WAN port on the ADSL
Router / Modem. I had some problems with the DHCP on hte router so assigned
the LAN port and the 'external' port on the SuSE firewall box static IPs.
The internal side of the SuSE box also has a static IP but runs a DHCP
server for the rest of the internal LAN.

The only traffic I pass through the router (via port redirection, I can't
remember the exact page from here) is SSH(22) web(80) and SMTP(25). All
other traffic is originated internally MASQed if needed by IPchains on the
firewall and then probably NATed by the router before it gets outside.

The fixed IP is only fixed as far a plusnet is concerned. I could not get
the router to work with a fixed IP, probably something to do with masks /
routing set up wrong. The router is set to use DHCP from plusnet but always
gets the same IP.

As far as bridging goes I have not experimented with this at all so can't
help I'm afraid.

Hope this has been of some help

Alastair