[Gllug] Sony Net MD

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Fri Apr 25 12:53:53 UTC 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 07:42:27PM +0100, Pete Ryland wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 04:40:16PM +0100, Jim Bailey wrote:
>
> > Very Sony, very happy to build on the work of others with their new
> > consumer electronics kernel but wouldn't know how to share if their
> > grasping little corporate hearts depended on it.
> >
> > I put Sony in the same category as Apple making all the right noises but
> > non of the right gestures.
>
> I've always been very happy with Sony hardware and firmware, but in this
> case, even the Windows software is bad, and I get constant inquiries about
> better software for Windows even!
>
> Anyway, I think there are some in the company who want to support Linux (and
> Mac), but obviously the powers that be can't see the financial benefit.
> Also, they have a *large* media business to protect, so they're quite
> careful about making sure their copy protection scheme (MagicGate) is kept
> under lock and key.

I know that there are many people who work at Sony that are decent
people and know a couple of people in R&D that are privately very
frustrated at having their prototypes broken for marketing reasons by
suits above them.

If my language and responses are a bit hot and harsh at the moment I
apologies, I gave up smoking a few days ago and my moods swing between
belligerent and psychotic usually by the minute.  My tolerance of
corporations shenanigans is not helped by my current reading "The Best
Democracy Money Can Buy, Greg Palast" https://www.gregpalast.com

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk