[Gllug] [OT]switch question.

Peter Adamson peter.adamson at isode.com
Tue Apr 8 16:59:55 UTC 2003

My new company (have job now ;))
is about to upgrade its servers.
I've just been spending over a day installing RH linux on them all.....

I have a little question about switches.

We have 16 computers in groups of 4.
One option is to have all 4 computers in a group each have a connection
to a switch,

Or have 3 computers in a group connect to the 4th compuetr, which then
maintains a connection to the switch.

Then end result is either 16 computers talking to the switch, or 4
computers talking to the switch.
Is there any difference?

The 4 computers talking to the switch _feels_ better,  is there a better
reason for having this?
Are there any good web pages out there (been trying google all day but
nothing of relevance)

cheers,
Peter

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk