[Gllug] nologs stuff after cfp

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Tue Apr 8 13:47:33 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 08 April 2003 13:46, mish wrote:
> SteveC wrote:
> >While not entirely on-topic, I think lots of people should be interested
> >in this:
> >
> >There was some discussion at computers freedom and privacy 2003 (not
> >that I was there :-)) about data retention.
>
> This is very interesting.  Does anyone know what the penalties are for
> encrypting the entire hdd and not providing the key?

Well, you'd be breaking a court order (ultimately) if you didn't reveal
passwords or keys, so un the end it's up to the discression of a judge. They
can say "you will go to prison until you reveal the evidence the court
demands." Not really much different from "I'll stop electro-shocking you when
you answer my questions."

Dylan

--
It is a dark day...