[Gllug] nologs stuff after cfp

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Tue Apr 8 13:45:07 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 08 April 2003 14:15, John Hearns wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 13:55, Richard Jones wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 01:19:17PM +0100, SteveC wrote:
> > > Of course some logging is needed for debugging, but generally keeping
> > > apache logs for days/weeks eats disk space and isn't really needed (or
> > > done much, I know).  Maybe drop the ip address from the logs? Maybe
> > > don't just rm those logs when not needed, but overwrite them with
> > > random bytes? Maybe hash the ip address of logs older than 24 hours so
> > > its still useful for statistics, while since its >24 hours old it
> > > probably isn't useful for debugging?
> >
> > I'd like to see them force me to keep webserver logs on my Zaurus :-)
> >
> > Or, if I had one, on my tiny embedded webserver appliance.
>
> I get your point.
> But playing the devils advocate, the device logs can be sent to another
> device. NFS mount on another server or whatever.
>
> Anyway, I thought that the provisions of RIP only applied to people
> supplying a service - like ISPs.
> They can't really expect home users to keep access logs.
> Please tell me I'm right here... please.

Since technically if you allow someone to use your computer (wife, children,
friend, ...) you are providing a 'service' (albeit free of charge) then yes,
they can if they're prepared to push the point. More important, every user
who has an electronic address book should, actually, be Data Protection
registered.

Dylan

--
It is a dark day...