[Gllug] email like distro (think =~ s/smoothwall/smoothemail/g)

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 11:18:15 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-26 at 00:15, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 17:04, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> > itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
>
> > Does the Bynari connector work with any imap server or does it need the
> > ACLs of Cyrus?  Their site is very shy of mentioning anything other that
> > the Bynari server.  I would love a modification of the Ximian connector
> > for evolution to make it work with an IMAP server, the way that Bynari
> > does for Outlook.
>
> >From wat I'd heard, Bynari could work with any IMAP server
>
> > With my failing server disks I am not having fun with Cyrus as it is
> > installed here and am thinking or moving to Exim and Courier.
>
> I confess to being confused by this. In what way is faulty hardware a
> reason to change your choice of server software?

I should have been more explicit :-)

I have used Courier and UW for many years and never had a problem.

This is the first time that I have used Cyrus and my first impressions
have been poor.  I have had exptensive difficulties with Eudora and
Outlook with file locking.  I have also had problems with mail clients
becoming unresponsive.  I know that it is possible and probable for all
these difficulties to stem from the file system difficulties.  I just
felt I was using it as an excuse.

In addition as I am going to migrate all services before I rebuild the
RAID it makes sense to use something I know well, it would mean a faster
and smoother transition, rather than intending a slight upon Cyrus.  I
could do it with the existing hardware - replace the broken hard drive
add an additional PCI - IDE card to ensure that each hard drive has its
own channel as per the software RAID Howto. This I feel would be taking
too much of a risk as Amanda now refuses to run due to filesystem
corruption.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk