[Gllug] Shell > HTML

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Wed Apr 23 14:04:17 UTC 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:54:47PM -1200, Lobster wrote:

> >If you want to follow such a path then I suggest an alternative approach -
> >make your project available for Windows in source form only.
> >
> >Jason Clifford
>

> :-)
> You probably understand what you are
> doing and why . . .
> :-)
> I am very new to Linux
> - not competing - not trying to win - radical
> (a winning strategy . . .)
>
> My interest is in a working system
> that improves (for the users)
> rather than 'improves'
> for the suppliers of the OS.
>
> I am not really interested (anymore) in the
> mechanics . . .
>
> As a new user I am finding Debian Lynix very secure.
> So secure I can barely get in to save text files . . .
> . . . oh dear . . .
>
> :-)
>
> Ah well . . .
> [had to learn all about permissions]
>
> Now I am interested in accessing the shell
> from HTML
>
> so for example a hyperlink
> like this will access a persons local hard disk
> (well on Windows it will)
>
> file://localhost/C:/
> file://localhost/D:/

file:/// will take you to the root directory of your local machine
depending on who you are running as depends on what files below that you
can open.

file:///home/$user_name will take you to your home directory etc.

> Can I do something in HTML and shell combined?
> the bash shell seems - well POWERFUL
> - am I turning into a penguin nerd . . .
> (I want to do a web page on a server/desktop
> that shows the shell commands and perhaps runs
> them/ explains/ links etc - maybe someone has done this?)
> This would develop my understanding . . .

I maybe misunderstanding where you are coming from but you seem to be
thinking Windows in *nix environment.  Bash isn't really designed for a
point and click interface.  though you can wrap scripts in Tcl or Qt for
buttons.  Bash's strengths are in it ability to string together commands
to build more complex behaviours, see scripts above.

> So what I am thinking of is html linked to small bash scripts
> perhaps . . . ?

They are called CGIs or common gateway interfaces they can be written in
Bash but are more frequently seen done in Perl.

> I am not really into the java/javascript
> side (but could find someone for this . . .)
> but would prefer to do it with HTML
> and make it as clear as possible
> as I feel the documentation
> I have read so far is little more than
> Martian Geek talk
> (with no offence to Martian Geeks)
>  . . . which I may just have been speaking . . .

am not sure what you have been reading as documentation but if it man
and info pages then I am not suprised you are having trouble.  They are
not designed for learning from (unless your name is Bruce ;)) but as
online references for checking syntax.

If you want to learn Linux and Unix in general try this guys on line
guide.

http://rute.sourceforge.net

He helped me a lot to make progress and explains things pretty well, I
am sure other people will have there own recommendations.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk