[Gllug] Redhat 9 and moving distribution: your experience

Richard Turner richard.turner at dlf.org.uk
Wed Apr 30 10:53:55 UTC 2003

Behalf
> Of Tethys
> Sent: 30 April 2003 11:35 am
> To: gllug at linux.co.uk
> Subject: Re: [Gllug] Redhat 9 and moving distribution: your experience
>

> Grzegorz Jaskiewicz writes:
>
> >>From user/desktop point of view - it is very good, easy to use,
> >flexible, loads of free soft. just beautifull. But i never ever will
> >recomend it for servers.
>
> It's usable for servers, but it wouldn't be my first choice (at
> least for a public facnig machine -- internal servers are slightly
> different). Red Hat hasn't been a good server OS for a while now
> -- the base install is simply too bloated. But then again, most
> distributions are the same. OpenBSD's looking like a remarkably good
> server choice these days...
>
> >While other distro developers are cooperating with package
> >developers/mainteinters - redhat does not do that.
>
> Pure FUD.
>
> >Even more, they are
> >using very often non stable/cvs snapshoted versions. Fe, kernel in rh
9
> >is 2.4.21-rc3 with tons of patches (kernel it self, as i am kernel
> >hacker my self - looks very good).
>
> Take a look around. Virtually no major distribution uses a stock Linus
> kernel. They nearly all apply various patches, usually on top of an
-ac
> base kernel.
>
> >But on servers, you have to put much more trust in security of your
> >distro. And i will recomend Debian for that.
>
> Again, more FUD. Red Hat may have many faults. But the security of
> their distribution is not one of them. They're very responsive to
> security problems, more so than any other disitribution (including
> Debian) in my experience.
>
> Tet

I've just deleted my WinXP partition and replaced it with RH9 and I'm
really pleased.  It runs nice and quickly and is stable, looks nice with
their default theme (OK, that's not an issue for most of us - I'm not
using their Bluecurve theme, but it matters to some) and up2date for
security patches is great.

I've no complaints at all :-)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk