[Gllug] Redhat 9 and moving distribution: your experience

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Wed Apr 30 12:51:38 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 11:34, Tethys wrote:
> Again, more FUD. Red Hat may have many faults. But the security of
> their distribution is not one of them. They're very responsive to
> security problems, more so than any other disitribution (including
> Debian) in my experience.

I'm afraid thats just more FUD too (:

I absolutely agree with you that the criticism of Red Hat w.r.t security
hasn't been pertinent for a long while now. I disagree with the
implication that Red Hat currently offers any advantage in security over
other mainstream linux distributions.

Assuming that "responsiveness" means "time between announcement of bug
or exploit and update or workaround being produced", for the most recent
handful of alerts on bugtraq, debian have actually made automatic
updates available before Red Hat (my unscientific survey says by between
a few hours to a small number of days). It could be that if you pay for
RHN there wouldn't be any delay or it would be faster than debian - I
believe it is supposed to give "preferential" access to updates?

Anyway, nitpicking aside, I think it reasonable to say that you get
approximately similar fix times using either distribution.

Regards,

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk