[Gllug] I don't know why I love you but I do

Ashley Evans k0210244 at kingston.ac.uk
Tue Apr 22 21:17:52 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 22 Apr 2003 10:00 pm, Stephen Harker wrote:
> > You could always try it in a chroot. :-)
>
> I do this. I have a gentoo partition mounted inside Mandrake that I can
> chroot to, do an "emerge world" now and again and leave it to chug away and
> get on and use Mandrake uninterrupted. Occasionally I actually boot into
> Gentoo to have a play. It's a satisfying feeling seeing that much code
> systematically compile itself without falling over. But I don't actually
> _use_ it that much
>
> :-)

This is probably a good idea, once I've got the whole system up  in chroot I can switch over to Gentoo.
I could even knock-up some bootable cd's with my own customised version.

<diving in to fantasy>

People could upload, to some kindly donated server, their own customised Gentoo's with descriptions of optimisations, hardware and software
packages so others could choose a well optimised "distribution". Of course many many different base versions would be needed to malke it
useful.

Just a though :)

</DitF>

Ash.