[Gllug] I don't know why I love you but I do

Mark Hazell nutts at penguinmail.com
Tue Apr 22 22:37:57 UTC 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:55:42 +0100 Jim typed:

> In the time it has taken me to clean machine, partiton and install a
> new version of Debian on my desktop, I am still waiting for my iBook
> 2.2 to compile Open Office in Gentoo.

Gentoo has GRP (Gentoo Reference Platform) if you want to install large
software as precompiled (optimised for different platforms obviously,
not just i386 or i586) binaries. From the Gentoo (rc2) install doc:
"GRP is simply precompiled packages for very large applications, such as
XFree86. KDE, GNOME, OpenOffice, etc"

So it could only take you a few hours (on a fast machine) to get a base
X-less system booting, then install X and KDE/Gnome and OO in a few
minutes.

I love Gentoo, such flexibility and choice is amazing. Compile
everything if you so desire, or compile most stuff, and just install
optimised binaries for the big stuff (i have done just that for OO
because I just couldn't be bothered to wait when the work has already
been done for me, and optimised for the p3). Obviously if you need
certain flags enabled on build (eg if you want pda support in
evolution/sylpheed), then compiling is the only answer anyway.

>From another gentoo fanatic,
Mark.

--
:wq