[Gllug] Courier IMAP problems

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 14:27:46 UTC 2003

Xander D Harkness wrote:
> Stephen Harker wrote:
>
>> Hi All.
>> I recently transferred the company email from uw-imap on Mandrake 9.0
>> to Courier-imap on Debian Woody. It all works fine and dandy except
>> that very occasionally, emails will go missing. Usually when someone
>> has filed an email away from their Inbox to a sub-directory somewhere
>> and then gone looking for it later, and it's not there. I at first
>> assumed that it was Outlook Express so I got them using Mozilla. But
>> then it happened again and also recently to myself (using Evolution).
>> So I'm now assuming there is some strangeness going on with Courier or
>> Debian.
>> Could it be because the Mail partition is an ext3 filesystem?
>> Is there any reason why this should happen?
>> I don't really even know where to start looking as it is such an
>> infrequent and inconsistent problem. Google hasn't as yet turned
>> anything up.
>> Clues?
>> SteveH
>>

> It might be that the mails have been saved to directories that you are
> not subscribed to (this has happened to me on sent emails.)
>
> Try using subscribe to folders under mozilla to see if there are any
> mail directories that you are not subscribed to :-)

Well it's not that I don't think. I know the email was in there because
I found it by doing a keyword search in Evolution. But when I double
clicked on it to open that particular email, Evolution sent up an error
message saying could not open Message-ID something-or-other and then
instead of three emails containing that keyword, the next time I
searched, there was only one. So somehow, two got deleted. And no I
didn't accidentally press DELETE :-)

Very odd. And I've been to the Maildir folder and grepped for the
keyword in all the files and it hasn't showed up that way either.
ie.

debussy:/home/s.harker/Maildir/.2002_01-03/cur# grep Compulease *
1044805574.14103_783.debussy,S=1897:2,S:Please call Lee from Compulease
(11:27)
1044805574.14103_783.debussy,S=1897:2,S:<DIV><FONT face=3DArial
size=3D2>Please call Lee from Compulease=20
debussy:/home/s.harker/Maildir/.2002_01-03/cur#

Which comes up with the one email but not the other two!!??

Stumped. This never happened in a year and a half of using uw-imap!

SteveH

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk