[Gllug] Courier IMAP problems

David Pashley gllug at davidpashley.com
Fri Apr 11 14:49:29 UTC 2003

On Apr 11, 2003 at 14:19, Pete Ryland praised the llamas by saying:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 02:06:51PM +0100, Stephen Harker wrote:
> > Hi All.
> > I recently transferred the company email from uw-imap on Mandrake 9.0 to
> > Courier-imap on Debian Woody. It all works fine and dandy except that
> > very occasionally, emails will go missing. Usually when someone has
> > filed an email away from their Inbox to a sub-directory somewhere and
> > then gone looking for it later, and it's not there. I at first assumed
> > that it was Outlook Express so I got them using Mozilla. But then it
> > happened again and also recently to myself (using Evolution). So I'm now
> > assuming there is some strangeness going on with Courier or Debian.
> > Could it be because the Mail partition is an ext3 filesystem?
> > Is there any reason why this should happen?
> > I don't really even know where to start looking as it is such an
> > infrequent and inconsistent problem. Google hasn't as yet turned
> > anything up.
> > Clues?
>
> Filesystem filling up perhaps?  On Debian, /var is used more than in other
> distros.

Nope, courier uses ~/Maildir for a mailstore. This is strange problem.
I've been using courier on Debian machines for several years at several
sites and I've never once had a complaint about missing files. The only
thing I can think of is FS corruption. Have you tried posting to the
Courier mailing list. I'm sorry I don't have the address.

--
David Pashley
david at parguild.co.uk