[Gllug] Mysql Configure problem

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Mon Apr 7 19:16:49 UTC 2003

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 07:00:54PM +0100, Andy Loates wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I,m wondering if any of you out there can help me on this.
>
> I'm trying to install Mysql-3.23.52 from a tarball on a pretty standard
> Red Hat 8.0 installation. When I run the configure command:
>
> # LDFLAGS="static" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql_3.23.52
> --localstatedir=/usr/local/mysql/var/

The "preferred" method of passing LDFLAGS is on the command line of
./configure, that is:

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql_3.23.52 --localstatedir=/usr/local/mysql/var/ LDFLAGS="static"

Either way, passing "static" as the LDFLAGS is not what you want to do, and
is causing the error below.

> I get the following error message:
>
> checking for mawk... no
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
> cannot create executables

Did it not also say "See `config.log' for more details."?  That would have
said something like:

configure:2233: checking for C compiler default output
configure:2236: gcc   static conftest.c  >&5
gcc: static: No such file or directory

which should have instantly told you what the problem was.  If it didn't,
then I'm guessing you're not developing it nor auditing it, so what are you
doing compiling it from scratch for, rather than installing an rpm?

> Now i've installed the same tarball on 2 Red Hat 7.1 boxes with no
> problem at all. Have I not got a specific library installed. I've re-run
> RH8 install to make sure i have ALL Languages and associated Development
> rpm's installed but still no joy.
>
> Grateful for any help that you can give.

HTH,
Pete
--
Pete Ryland