[Gllug] Mp3 player for Linux recommendation

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 7 22:48:57 UTC 2003

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003, Peter Adamson moaned:
>>Depends what you mean. Linux won't run on it but it'll certainly work
>>*as* a USB storage device. Getting USB storage to work is fucking fiddly
>>though.
>>
> Nah I meant it as a USB storage device.

Note that the Archoses run off the battery at all times, and the charger
doesn't actually deliver as much power as the disk consumes when spinning.
While the USB cable is plugged in, the disk is spinning permanently.

So if you leave it plugged in to the USB cable, it'll eventually run out
of power, even if it is plugged into the charger too.

Plus, it gets damned hot (battery charging, battery discharging, and
disk spinning; I think mostly the former); I imagine the heat produced will
be more on the non-FM-recorder models, as they have NiMH batteries, which
IIRC get quite a lot hotter than li-ion when charging.

> I found it easy, that change in /etf/fstab in full:
> /dev/sda1               /mnt/mp3                vfat    noauto,user 0 0

yep, that's the fstab changes. I also had to do

echo "Bringing up USB for the Archos..."
modprobe uhci
modprobe usb-storage

# Only now can we mount the usbdevfs.
mount /proc/bus/usb

and it didn't work except with USB as modules, and I had to work out that it
was uhci, not usb-ohci or ehci (not that that was too hard; lspci told me
that much).

The order dependencies between SCSI (which I have to build in as my root
FS is on a scsi disk) and usb-storage are, um, fun, though. Yes, fun,
that's the word.

> maybe its because I'm using a fully-bloated-contains-everything red hat kernel

Yeah, probably. I've only got one box I've managed to convince USB mass storage
to work on at all :( I'm still beating the others into functioning...

--
#ifdef USE_ISPTS_FLAG
		} else {	/* else pty, not pts */

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk