[Gllug] nologs stuff after cfp

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Tue Apr 8 13:15:57 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 13:55, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 01:19:17PM +0100, SteveC wrote:
> > Of course some logging is needed for debugging, but generally keeping
> > apache logs for days/weeks eats disk space and isn't really needed (or
> > done much, I know).  Maybe drop the ip address from the logs? Maybe
> > don't just rm those logs when not needed, but overwrite them with random
> > bytes? Maybe hash the ip address of logs older than 24 hours so its
> > still useful for statistics, while since its >24 hours old it probably
> > isn't useful for debugging?
>
> I'd like to see them force me to keep webserver logs on my Zaurus :-)
>
> Or, if I had one, on my tiny embedded webserver appliance.

I get your point.
But playing the devils advocate, the device logs can be sent to another
device. NFS mount on another server or whatever.

Anyway, I thought that the provisions of RIP only applied to people
supplying a service - like ISPs.
They can't really expect home users to keep access logs.
Please tell me I'm right here... please.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk