[Gllug] usbdevfs failure - dan't connect to net anymore

Eric Lee ericlee at labourstart.org
Thu Apr 24 10:25:25 UTC 2003

I can no longer connect to the net via my USB ADSL connection -- if I
leave the USB cable connected to my PC, I get the following error
message when booting Red Hat Linux 7.3:

usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 2 ep 0x85 len 512 ret -110

This message stays on the screen forever, until I physically reboot
(push reset) or turn off the PC.

The message can vary to read 'dev 3' instead of 'dev 2' depending on
which USB port I'm plugged into.

If I unplug the USB cable and reboot, the system seems fine -- but I
cannot connect to the net.

I have a USB mouse; it works no matter which port it is plugged into.

The ADSL modem works -- when I plug it into my Windows 98 laptop, no
problem.

I have tried every combination I could think of, moving the cable
around to the various USB ports. Nothing works.  I've looked at
usbview -- the Alcatel speed touch modem appears there, but is listed
in red.

And this also happened out of the blue -- my connection worked fine
for 8 months.  I can't imagine what is causing this problem.  Any
ideas?

Thanks very much.

Eric

--
Eric Lee - Editor, LabourStart (http://www.labourstart.org)
Phone: 07 976 228 109 (from outside the UK: +44 7 976 228 109)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk