[Gllug] usbdevfs failure - dan't connect to net anymore

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Fri Apr 25 11:13:13 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 11:25, Eric Lee wrote:
> I can no longer connect to the net via my USB ADSL connection -- if I
> leave the USB cable connected to my PC, I get the following error
> message when booting Red Hat Linux 7.3:
>
> usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
> usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 2 ep 0x85 len 512 ret -110

I think that's a normal message - I forget the reason, but it was in the
userland speedtouch driver HOWTO. I've always got them every time I
start up the modem:

Mar 28 11:41:57 z kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1,
assigned device number 2
Mar 28 11:41:57 z kernel: usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x6b9/0x4061)
is not claimed by any active driver.
Mar 28 11:42:00 z modem_run[24088]: modem_run version 1.1 started by
root uid 0
Mar 28 11:42:02 z kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
/var/log/messages.3.gz:Mar 28 11:42:02 felix kernel: usbdevfs:
USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 2 ep 0x85 len 512 ret -110
Mar 28 11:42:16 z modem_run[24088]: ADSL synchronization has been
obtained
Mar 28 11:42:16 z modem_run[24088]: ADSL line is up (576 kbit/s down |
288 kbit/s up)

Do you get anything else in the logs b.t.w.? Is the machine totally
wedged when this happens?

> I have a USB mouse; it works no matter which port it is plugged into.
>
> The ADSL modem works -- when I plug it into my Windows 98 laptop, no
> problem.

Hmmm - since you say "laptop" I'm presuming that it is not the same
machine, so it could still be that the is a problem with USB on the
other machine. A mouse might not be enough to exercise the problem
(quite a slow device c.f. the modem). Anyway, it sounds like the modem
is fine, I'm not sure you be certain about the host hardware.

> I have tried every combination I could think of, moving the cable
> around to the various USB ports. Nothing works.  I've looked at
> usbview -- the Alcatel speed touch modem appears there, but is listed
> in red.

I'm not sure what usbview is, but if you're using the userland
speedtouch driver then there won't be a hotplug kernel driver for it,
and from the system's point of view nothing is looking after it
(speedtouch uses some sort of raw access to the device) so I could
imagine it being listed as "not working" in a spurious way.

> And this also happened out of the blue -- my connection worked fine
> for 8 months.  I can't imagine what is causing this problem.  Any
> ideas?

Assuming for the moment that it isn't the hardware it might well be that
something else has changed - system updates, for example. From the above
it doesn't sound like your system is completely stuck, so you could try
manually doing each step of the modem initialisation and seeing where
the problem occurs.

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis                                  Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,                     Tel. 020 7882 7522
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.
---- GPG public key <http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/#publickey> ----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk