[Gllug] Linux for Mac

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Sat Apr 26 12:26:38 UTC 2003

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 01:27:24AM +0100, John Levin wrote:

> On Friday, April 25, 2003, at 02:19  pm, Jim Bailey wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 10:58:10AM +0100, North London John wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I want to install linux on my G3 CRT iMac. Has anyone on this list
> >>have
> >>experience of doing so on this type of box? What distro is best? Which
> >>has the best documentation?
> >>
> >I am _now_ happily using Gentoo PPC 1.4 but don't ;)
> >
> I'm going to rise to the challenge here. :)
>
> I've read about the difficulties - for a newbie - when installing
> Gentoo (not to mention the time it takes to compile all the apps).
> But, how much will I learn by trying? (I've got nothing from failed GUI
> installations of RedHat and Mandrake, but learnt quite a bit from a
> partial Debian x86 install (and even more from installing Debian under
> the watchful eye of a master at the Gllug installfest.))
>
> It'll be time well spent if I get something out of it - even if not a
> working linux installation.
>
> Frankly, I think that if I don't expect Gentoo to work straight off,
> it'll be less stressful than waiting for mandrake/yellow dog to fsck up
> my sound. And the experience will bring me one step closer to becoming
> a l33t h4X0r, (Joke! Joke!)

If you want to give it a go I will help out as much as you like and pass
on what few tips I have picked up.  To be honest once the initial big
compiles are out of the way running emerge niced means that your
compiling doesn't effect your desktop apps.  You can also have ssh
connections out of the box from the moment you set up networking very
nice for reading the install docs from a text browser.

Go on join us l33t h4X0r5

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk