[Gllug] email like distro (think =~ s/smoothwall/smoothemail/g)

Murray gllug at minty.org
Fri Apr 25 07:04:32 UTC 2003

yah! lucky me - I'm about to get another little (2nd hand) box to play with.

I was hoping for a sorta-mail server

- imap (courier?)
- fetchmail
- spamassassign

I've no real interest (just yet) in running a fully blown public mail
server, my hosting provider can handle that for now, but I want something to
handle/filter/webmail my various accounts.  I also want to run SquirrelMail
on another box...but I digress.

....so the question(s)

- Smoothwall/IPCop are dedicated firewall distro's (MeshAP from
locustworld.com being another custom-distro)
- Are there similarly dedicated mailserver distro's out there?

I realise there is a lot to be said for rolling your own, compiling the
kernel (gentoo?) etc, and that many of the modern installers are pretty
configurable/powerful out of the box.

Yet these custom distro's (stick in the cd, boot, wait, point your web
brower are the admin IP) strike me as a fantastic way to increase the reach
to those who could care less about the OS/compiling, but want a good
solution.

- Any other neat custom-distro's I should be looking at?

Say, for instance, a dedicated web-server distro, with mod_perl, apache 1&2,
squid, etc all pre-installed, with appropriate system settings, and a nice
web based admin interface. Now that MS have a dedicated webserver Windows
release, surely it's time the open source community "caught up" with them ;)

- What's the general feeling on custom-distro's?

Heading back to my corner,
murray.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk