[Gllug] [ot] recommend adsl

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 09:07:36 UTC 2003

On Wed 09 Apr, Gordon Joly wrote:

> I decided to go with Demon who have been excellent.
>
> Express Solo (wires only service).
>
> 25 quid a month.

   You are being overcharged 1p per month!
   My Demon Solo has been fairly reliable, although there are email problems
at the moment, (mail is arriving late, with anything from 1 to 4 copies of
emails arriving overnight, reported to be due to a failure at one of the
Demon sites and apparently not limited to ADSL).
   Demon took about a month to forward my order to BT, who took about 4 days
to install it (3 days early). I received setup instructions about a week
before the connection was due to arrive, and I was informed that it was
available after I had been connected for about 4 days. I was then billed for
the wrong amount, and received a cheque through the post to correct the
account.
   One of my neighbours lost his BT ADSL connection the day that I received
mine, it was reconnected about a month later when BT decided that they had
disconnected the wrong house.
   I would not recommend USB, but no problems setting up my single ethernet
ADSL modem/router.
   There have been more problems in Scotland and the north of England, and
various routers have been upgraded. There have been several warnings of
possible overnight interruptions due to scheduled BT upgrades and
maintenance, but they have not bothered me. I have heard rumours that a next
generation ADSL may be widely available soon, but I have not heard more. My
ADSL kit is supposed to be able to handle much higher data rates than at
present, so I hope not to need more than an EAROM upgrade.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk