[Gllug] Slow local network?

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 10:15:38 UTC 2003

John Hearns wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 02:46, Garry Heaton wrote:
>
>>I have 2 Mandrake machines and one XP connected to a router and an ADSL
>>connection. With little/no activity on the internet connection Linux/Linux
>>file copying via 'scp' seems to be incredibly slow, ie. a 12Mb file is
>>taking 80secs. My ethernet cards are supposed to be capable of 100Mbps so
>>what's going on?
>

> Remember file syste is measured in bytes, network speed in bits.
> So 12MBytes = 106 Mbits. And scp needs  encryption.

So thats 1.06 seconds at 100 Mbps or 10.6 secs at 10 Mbps all things
being equal :-)

The encryption can slow things down on older machines. Try transferring
the file with ordinary FTP and see how fast it goes and let us know.

> In my experience, things like this are usually down to name resolution.
> I would guess that on a small LAN you are using entries in /etc/hosts,
> right?

Are all machines connected to a built in hub on the router or do you
have a seperate network hub/switch. Many ADSL routers have only 10Mbps
hubs in them.

SteveH

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk