[Gllug] Windows VPN / samba problem (bit urgent)

Simon Morris simon.morris at penguinit.com
Thu Apr 17 15:46:22 UTC 2003

Peter said:
> Hi everyone.
> I have a bit of a problem.
>
> We have:
>

> Windoze 2000 profesional(VPN client) ----->internet----->Windoze 2000
> professional (VPN Server)---------Linux box (running samba)
>

> At the moment the linux box is sharing out a couple of disks using samba
> ok.
>
> The Windoze VPN server can see the drives.
>
> However the windoze VPN Client can't
> The windoze VPN client can see shared "folders" on the VPN servers local
> disk.
>
> So I need to know how to get the windoze VPN server to be able to share
> the network drives
> being shared from the linux box (that's where the linux problem lies).
>
> Has anyone else had any experience of doing this?
>
> Cheers,
> Peter
>
> P.S Appologies for the sheer windozeyness ;)
[Simon dons his flameproof suit and gives some advice on Windows]

You need to check the IP connectivity on the Windows client. Do an
ipconfig to check which IP you have. It maybe the Windows server isn't
configured with a pool of valid IPs to issue the client (it will then
issue 169.254.x.x addresses). You can also get the Windows server to go to
DHCP on behalf of the client. Check the server properties in RRAS.

Also on the server properties check whether the server is configured as a
RAS server, router or both. I think you need to set it to be both.

If you can't ping the Samba server you won't have a chance of connecting
using SMB.

[I don't really like Windows -- honest]

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk