[Gllug] [ot] recommend adsl

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Wed Apr 9 14:21:42 UTC 2003

"Daniel Andersson" writes:

>1. which company provide a RELIABLE adsl business connection WITH a static
>ip(s) in london?

No one. Reliable and ADSL don't go together in the same sentence. That's
why it's so cheap. If you want reliable, stump up the money and get a
leased line. However, in the sense of "which ISP will reliably provide
me with service while BT haven't broken their ADSL network", this has
been convered many times. Check the archives, but I'd recommend F2S,
and others have been happy with Nildram, Plusnet, Claranet and Easynet.

>2. should i get them to provide a adsl modem for me or is it easier/better
>to get one myself?
>2a. if i get one myself, what should i go for? i want to be able to plug a
>cat5 into this modem. that's it. no firewalling, no NATing (this is all done
>by our office firewall)

Dunno. When I got my ADSL, you could only get the one supplied by BT.
But since like you, I only use it for routing (no NAT, no firewalling),
it doesn't really matter which you go for. So long as it routes packets
from A to B, I don't care what additional features it has -- I don't
use them. Just pick the cheapest one you can find...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk