[Gllug] [OT} Converting xhtml to postscript

Adrian McMenamin Adrian.McMenamin at britainineurope.org.uk
Tue Apr 1 15:07:04 UTC 2003

I am using hylafax to fax out text generated via a web application. Because
of the obvious problems in passing around quote marks as strings on the web,
I am converting these to the appropriate bits of xhtml (eg ’ or
&lsquo) and converting them back to text at the end of the process.

This works fine for emails generated in this way and dispatched by sendmail,
but hylfax or postscript cannot deal with it - the quotes simply disappear -
making my users look like people with a poor grasp of grammar - eg wouldn't
becomes wouldnt.

Anybody come across this before and have any simple solutions?

Adrian McMenamin