[Gllug] Windows Petrol Pump

James Bailey James.Bailey at osm.co.uk
Thu Apr 17 11:21:49 UTC 2003

But what I was saying is that projects like this will take years or decades
to reach the point where continuing with the proprietary solution is no
longer a valid option.  It is only at this point that the suits and
hopefully the techies as well will sit down and look carefully at the
alternatives.

I genuinely believe and as time is going on have strong personal experience
that the free software model is the best, the question for many though is
not free vs. proprietary but what best serves my purposes needs goals and
budgets at this time.

I personally prefer to work with "genuinely free distros", such as Debian
and Gentoo, however I understand the need for Red Hat, SuSE and other to
supply their clients with what they need "the corporate distribution".

> >AFAIK many cash points still run DOS!
>
> I doubt it. Many cash points _do_ still run AS/400 - and if the banks
> had any sense they would have stuck with it.

Now you have made me look I was right, ;)

http://www.linux.org/people/banrisul_english.html

though in this case they are replacing it with Linux. :)

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk