[Gllug] Windows Petrol Pump

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Apr 17 11:47:43 UTC 2003

David Damerell writes:

>>AFAIK many cash points still run DOS!
>
>I doubt it. Many cash points _do_ still run AS/400 - and if the banks
>had any sense they would have stuck with it.

Actually, until very recently, most of the world's ATMs ran OS/2,
connecting to Tandems at the backend. That's starting to change
now, and Windows is replacing OS/2 in the ATM machines themselves.
AFAIK, Tandem is still the main backend platform. I dread to think
what will happen if/when HP stop supporting Tandem. The concept of
Windows running ATM systems doesn't fill me with confidence...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk