[Gllug] Firewire & camera problems on Suse 8.2

Frank Kelly fkelly at organictv.clara.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 16:40:26 UTC 2003

Hi

I've just fitted a Belkin firewire card (Texas instruments circuitry, Sony
i-Link tech) to my home-built box.  I've also upgraded from Suse Professional
8.0 to 8.2.  My camera is a new Sony Handycam DCR-TRV355-E.  The camera has a
firewire port, USB port and USB streaming.

PCI Infocentre shows the firewire card, as does /proc/bus/ieee1394 but
Mainactor capture says 'the device may be busy or the program does not have
root rights at startup'.

I have attempted to change the root permissions, but with no effect. It will
be obvious from this that I don't know a damn thing about video on computers
so I wondered if anyone had any tips.

Best wishes

Frank Kelly

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk