[Gllug] Apache appears to run *very* slowly

Simon Morris simon.morris at penguinit.com
Wed Apr 16 15:26:38 UTC 2003

I say appears to run slowly, but something strange is happening!

My situation is that I've got the chance to deploy a RedHat server running
Apache to serve a wiki site. This is going to be used for network
documentation in a MS orientated company -- so a good chance to impress
upon people the virtues of Linux etc.

The software I'm using is.....

Redhat 9.0
httpd-2.0.40-21.1
php-4.2.2-17
mysql-3.23.54a-11
php-mysql-4.2.2-17
The latest version of phpwiki from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpwiki/

The site runs great when I browse it locally. However when browsing from
another machine on the network using Internet Explorer it sucks. In excess
of 10secs to load the default page.

I assumed reverse DNS lookups and disabled these both in Apache and PHPwiki.
I also thought of bandwidth but I'm on 100BaseT. When I did a ethereal
trace on the server I found the following

0.00 secs -- start trace
2.215 secs -- TCP 3 way handshake
2.216 secs -- First HTTP packet sent to client
2.498 secs -- last HTTP packet sent to client
2.516 secs -- TCP FIN and then FIN/ACK
15.21 secs -- Page displayed in IE

So Apache seems to be doing its job quick enough. Why does the client have
to wait until 15.21 secs (I stopped the trace as soon as the pages loaded
in the client) until he can read the page?

The easy answer is IE is crap, but that won't impress many people here!!!!

Thanks for any help

--
Simon Morris
simon.morris at penguinit.com