[Gllug] Mysql Configure problem

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 08:50:35 UTC 2003

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Tethys wrote:

> Pete Ryland writes:
>
> >I'm guessing you're not developing it nor auditing it, so what are you
> >doing compiling it from scratch for, rather than installing an rpm?
>
> There are other reasons you might want to compile from source. You
> may be on a non-x86 platform for which no precompiled rpm/deb exists.
> You may not like the default compilation options that have been used.
> The RPM may have been built to be non-relocatable, and you want to
> install it somewhere else. You may be Nix, and have a machine that's
> binary incompatible with anything else on the planet...
>
> Tet

	Not liking the default compilation usally means that you think the
package is slow and you think you can compile it differently to be faster.
	It won't work with a database anyway, The best place to look if a
database is slow is the data, what indexes it has etc etc. Using anything
but the defaults is a waste of time.
	Of course if you have a non x86 machine or your machine is not
binary compatible with anything else you will have to use the source.
There is however usally a very good reason the developers have used the
options they have.
	Now I'm a postgres user (I am not going to argue the ins and outs
of MySql) but I did hear I think at a Gllug meeting that a MySql build
takes them well over a week and if you have time to waste on building it
like that you obviously have plenty of time on your hands......

Peter

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk