[Gllug] GLLUG May Meeting

Zachary Struhs zjstruhs at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 29 21:03:06 UTC 2003

Meeting: 12th April 2003

The Greater London Linux User Group is having another meeting.

That's right, there is a GLLUG meeting on Saturday 17th May 2003, between
12noon and 5pm.

We will be meeting in the New Cavendish Street campus of Westminster
University. This is in the shadow of the BT Tower, the nearest tube stations
are Great Portland Street, Warren Street and Goodge Street. You will find a
map at [ http://www.wmin.ac.uk/static/maps.asp ] or via www.streetmap.co.uk

NOTE: you will need to sign in at the front desk to gain access to the
building. There are building works at the moment but we'll post signs if the
entrance has moved.

Talks

We have two main talks planned. These will be in the large lecture theatre on
the second floor(This schedule is tenative and might change):

12:00 - 12:30 Welcome and Introduction. Also an opportunity to try and debug
overhead projectors :-)

12:30 - 13:30  Zachary Struhs - Introduction to Networking

13:30 - 14:30 Break

14:30 - 16:00 Dan Kolb - Packet Filter(pf)

16:00 - 17:00 Open Forum.  To round the meeting off: There will be an open
forum discussion, where people can come to the front of the lecture hall, and
give little "shortie" presentations on topics of interest to the group.
Please email gllugadmin at linux.co.uk.

Do please be aware that we can't guarantee that the talks will happen at the
times stated, but we will do our best to make sure they do.

Other activities

Away from the formal lectures, we have two rooms set aside, both on the second
floor, same level as main lecture room.

The network lab, as it is known, can be used for rolling demos of Linux being
installations and to experiment with configuration.

We also have the Multimedia room. This will be used for people to set is up
their own machines. You can do this if you have something to show off, or you
are looking for a solution to some problems. If your are bringing in your own
machine, make sure you sign it in when you arrive, otherwise security won't
let you take it when you go!

We will have access to some of the latest iso images and a CD-Burner.

If you decide to bring a PC, please have the serial number written down ahead
of time, in case it needs to be registered at the ground floor Reception. We
may also take a picture of you and your PC as proof of ownership.

The network lab and the multimedia room are the places you can go to, should
you be looking for sanctuary away from the formal talks. If we're lucky the
Refectory on the ground floor will have its food and drinks machines
restocked.

After

After the meeting, for those that want, the group will move off to a pub. 'The
Green Man' pub, at this time, no longer takes reservations for private
parties. If anyone has a suggestion for a new pub venue please email
gllugadmin at linux.co.uk. Otherwise we will venture off to 'The Green Man.' To
help you find the pub have a look at this external streetmap link.

Next meeting

The next meeting will be an InstallFest on Saturday 21st of June, the date for
the next full meeting has not yet been set. Keep watching these pages for
further announcements.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk