[Gllug] Transcoding a file for video playback on Windows

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 15 19:37:45 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 11:36, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> Hiyas.  I'm trying to create a video file that will play back on a
> Windows machine without installing any additional software/codecs
> etc, but it needs to be somewhat compressed to keep the file size
> down.  I can't seem to get anything to work!
>
> I suspect my best format would be MPEG1/2 video and MPEG2 audio, but
> any time I do that, transcode creates a seperate file for the audio...

You can take the two MPEG system streams and composite them together
with mplex, part of th mjpegtools package in Debian. Doubtless somewhere
similar in other distros. The mpgtx package is also worth a look - it
can demultiplex mpeg streams into audio and video, should you need to
work on them separately.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk