[Gllug] Redhat 9 and moving distribution: your experience

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 23:42:15 UTC 2003

Sunny Chan wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> just wondering how's everybody finding the new Redhat 9 so far? I am
> considering the move from 7.2 to 9 for my home machines and just want
> an opinion on stability of the new Redhat? or shall I really take the
> plunge and move to Debian (my first choice) or SuSE? I have got a few
> stuff set up like dhcpd and DNS and other servers would the move from
> Redhat to Debian/SuSE be hard? any experience with moving distributions?
>
> Thanks

I have had no difficulties at all moving from 7.1 to 9 or 8.0 to 9

I did have to delete .kde in my home directory as some of the settings
were causing konqueror to crash.  Oh and 50% of the KDE applets do not
work at all, such as kdict, knewsticker etc.  Very good support from
freshrpms.net for third party apps such as mplayer xmms-mp3 etc.

As you will have seen on list, the fonts are easy and look pretty and
cups is now default and seems to be much improved that that in 8.0

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk