[Gllug] Zaurus SD or MMC

Richard W.M. Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Apr 2 17:09:05 UTC 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 04:08:04PM +0100, Stan wrote:
> Ok so all this talk of zaurii(?) means I'm now convinced that I too

<pedantic>zauruses - it's a made-up english word</pedantic>

> should have one.  Dabs seems to be the cheapest place but I'm now
> wondering which memory cards I should get.
>
> I intend to have a wifi card (Linksys WCF12, 49UKP+) in the compact

The LinkSys sounds like a good idea. I'd be dubious about recommending
the D-Link DCF-660W. It works for some other people, but not for me.

> flash slot but should I get SD (Lexar Media 256MB, 89UKP+) or MMC
> (Dabsvale 128MB, 42UKP+).

That's a good deal for SD. I impulse-purchased 64 MB of SD from
Dixons (!) for 42 UKP inc VAT. SD is supposedly faster ...

> Oh and is it still worth getting a small
> compact flash card (Dabsvalue 32MB 10.64UKP+) so that I can play with
> both the installed os and openzaurus?

It's an absolute requirement if you want to play with OZ. Opie
is a fork of Qtopia (the supplied GUI) and is apparently much
better. Not tried it yet though. Since my Zaurus is really
intended as a portable ssh terminal I don't need the "productivity"
apps supplied with the installed OS so I expect OZ will get
installed just as soon as I sort out the D-Link problems.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London office, UK) http://www.redhat.com/
http://www.annexia.org/ Freshmeat projects: http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj