[Gllug] nologs stuff after cfp

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Tue Apr 8 19:09:52 UTC 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 03:22:51PM +0100, SteveC wrote:
> * mish (radiant at ntlworld.com) wrote:
> > This is very interesting.  Does anyone know what the penalties are for
> > encrypting the entire hdd and not providing the key?
>
> 'If you encrypt all your data, and refuse to hand over the key, you can
> be punished to a maximum of two years (or six months). '
>
> http://www.stand.org.uk/ripnotes/
>
> Under the rip act 2000. How do you prove you lost / forgot the key and
> many other issues. IIRC, you arn't allowed to tell anyone you have been
> served a notice either. If you do, you also go to prison.

Considering that a key can be used to sign data, one could argue that
handing over the key is like giving the prosecution an infinite number of
signed blank pieces of paper, and it would be negligent to allow them to
puport to be me, possibly distributing false/malicious data beyond their
juristiction to an international community who trust me.

Pete
--
Pete Ryland
http://pdr.cx/