[Gllug] nologs stuff after cfp

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Tue Apr 8 14:22:51 UTC 2003

* mish (radiant at ntlworld.com) wrote:
> SteveC wrote:
>
> >While not entirely on-topic, I think lots of people should be interested
> >in this:
> >
> >There was some discussion at computers freedom and privacy 2003 (not
> >that I was there :-)) about data retention.
> >

> This is very interesting.  Does anyone know what the penalties are for
> encrypting the entire hdd and not providing the key?

'If you encrypt all your data, and refuse to hand over the key, you can
be punished to a maximum of two years (or six months). '

http://www.stand.org.uk/ripnotes/

Under the rip act 2000. How do you prove you lost / forgot the key and
many other issues. IIRC, you arn't allowed to tell anyone you have been
served a notice either. If you do, you also go to prison.

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com http://www.fractalus.com/steve/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk