[Gllug] Seeking For Help

Stig Brautaset gllug at brautaset.org
Mon Apr 7 21:15:58 UTC 2003

On Apr 07 2003, Pete wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 11:58:04AM +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> > And verily, didst Mr Simon Johnson announce to the hordes:
> > > DEAR SIR/MADAM,
> >
> > Etc etc, sierra leone blah blah, millions of dollars blah blah...
> >
> > How the FECK did this get past the spam assassin filters?
>
> I've read somewhere that about 5 times as much traffic is generated by
> people talking about spam, as spam itself.

Yep. Probably much more on certain lists. When I used to hang on
debian-user, the problem became so bad that I hacked up a procmail
recipe to get rid of the bastards. Here it is, in its current form:

# If Bogofilter or SpamAssassin triggers, make sure we plonk followups
# to the message too.
:0
* 1^0 ^X-Bogosity: Yes, tests=bogofilter
* 1^0 ^X-Spam-Status: Yes
* 1^0 ? formail -c -x"References:" -x"In-Reply-To:" | fgrep -is -f $spam_ids
{
	# tag spam so we can stop followups to it
        :0 ch:
        | formail -x"Message-Id:" >> $spam_ids

        # if caught by bogofilter
        :0 :
        $bogofilter

        # if caught by spamassassin
        :0 :

        # if we get here then it was a followup to spam
        # Invaluable on e.g. debian-user.
        :0 :