[Gllug] Root of Rute Knowledge for New Bees, PPPD

Lobster edjason at britishlibrary.net
Thu Apr 24 11:45:37 UTC 2003

>file:/// will take you to the root directory of your local machine
>depending on who you are running as depends on what files below that you
>can open.
>
>file:///home/$user_name will take you to your home directory etc.

many thanks Jim

>I maybe misunderstanding where you are coming from but you seem to be
>thinking Windows in *nix environment.  Bash isn't really designed for a
>point and click interface.  though you can wrap scripts in Tcl or Qt for
>buttons.  Bash's strengths are in it ability to string together commands
>to build more complex behaviours, see scripts above.

Well I am writing this in windows
- still have not configured my Linux dial up net connection
- the PPP does not seem to be
happening - yet!
What I get is dial in (handshaking noise)
then the message
'starting pppd'
then eventually the error message
'timed out awaiting pppd'
I have tried two ISP's with the same result
so any ideas guys?

anyway

I looked at the Kdevelop for writing progs
and found this a bit flaky on the basic wizard/template it created . . .
BUT the ease of use - wow
- I immediately understood it - and I am not a programmer . . .
Only wrote one program in 'C'
I will look at Tcl and Qt
Thanks :-)

> > So what I am thinking of is html linked to small bash scripts
> > perhaps . . . ?
>
>They are called CGIs or common gateway interfaces they can be written in
>Bash but are more frequently seen done in Perl.

Well I did start learning Perl - too hard
bash seems easier
but that is a common problem
the only language I really liked was
Pascal - write a bit - it works
do more
then it became complex with declaring
class files and I gave up (turbo Pascal 3 was
OK - then I gave up half way through a Pascal 5
project - wasting my time with
what it should have been doing - ahem
- just not a programmer . . .)

> > as I feel the documentation
> > I have read so far is little more than
> > Martian Geek talk
> > (with no offence to Martian Geeks)
> >  . . . which I may just have been speaking . . .
>
>am not sure what you have been reading as documentation but if it man
>and info pages then I am not suprised you are having trouble.  They are
>not designed for learning from (unless your name is Bruce ;)) but as
>online references for checking syntax.

You got me!
I was using info and man - yuk!
Is Bruce a mega-nerd? (well done Bruce!
- Nerds are needed)

>If you want to learn Linux and Unix in general try this guys on line
>guide.
>
>http://rute.sourceforge.net
>
>He helped me a lot to make progress and explains things pretty well, I
>am sure other people will have there own recommendations.
>
>Peace Jim

Beautiful Jim.
:-)
Just what the vet ordered.

Peace and Love
Lobster

Peace and Love TV
http://pages.britishlibrary.net/lobster/peace/

or for those of different sensibilities:
'Shock and Awe' - The Buddhist version:
http://tooting.webspace.fish.co.uk/sa/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk