[Gllug] Mp3 player for Linux recommendation

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 6 22:31:13 UTC 2003

On Thu, 03 Apr 2003, Peter Adamson mused:
> In case anyones interested I've just got a new Mp3 player (Archos JukeboxStudio 10),

Yep; just got a JB FM Recorder here (last month).

> Its basically a 10Gb portable disk with an mp3 decoder strapped on.

More precisely, it's

- a sh-1 CPU running at 12MHz or thereabouts, in little-endian mode

- 2Mb of RAM; it can be upgraded to 8Mb but the procedure is *really*
  fiddly

- an LCD screen (from Solomon); the Recorders have nice big screens

- an ISD-200 (or ISD-300 on the Recorders) USB disk controller chip

- a wonderful MPEG-decoder-and-a-lot-else chip, the MAS3507D
  (3587F on the Recorders, which has encoding capability too)

- and a battery (NiMH on Players and Recorders, li-ion on FM Recorders)

- (and an FM tuner chip on the FM Recorder, and a microphone on all
  Recorders...)

all in a little box.

> I asked the pleb behind the counter if I could use it with Linux...you can guess the response.

Depends what you mean. Linux won't run on it but it'll certainly work
*as* a USB storage device. Getting USB storage to work is fucking fiddly
though.

> So I figured what the hell, I'll buy it & sort it out later.

That's what I did ;)

> Why is Windoze so difficult to use ;) ??

I dunno, but it's positively pleasant compared to the horrible software
that comes with the Archos jukeboxes.

See <http://rockbox.haxx.se/> for something better. Much better.
(And if I have my druthers it will soon be better still; I'm
working on sort-by-playing-frequency and iPod-style ID3-tag
browsing facilities at the moment, as my first major hack to
Rockbox.)

--
#ifdef USE_ISPTS_FLAG
		} else {	/* else pty, not pts */