[Gllug] Broadband with PlusNet

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Tue Apr 8 13:06:26 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 08 April 2003 13:02, John Hearns wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 12:54, Tethys wrote:
> > John Hearns writes:
> > >Envy. My line failed the BT tests.
> >
> > I didn't take the chance. I ordered a new line, and at the time of
> > order, told them that it was for ADSL, and that if they installed
> > something that wasn't suitable for ADSL, they'd be giving me a full
> > refund. Fortunately, it all worked fine...
>
> Truth be told, I wonder how these line tests are physically done.
> I really wonder if in my case they've just taken a line length from a
> GIS database. And as this line number was moved from another house, I
> wonder how accurate that is.

There's some termination stuff in the master phone socket which can be used to
test line quality.

> Exposing my ignorance, how much is the install and rental on a second
> line?

We had much trouble when my boyfriend needed an ISDN2 line for work. They put
the ISDN on over the same wires as the ADSL and royally hosed the connection.
Took 3 weeks to sort it out - but they did install a whole second line free
of charge because we had it in writing it wouldn't interfere with the ADSL
and my boyfriend is apt to push the point (can't take him to a restaurant
without worrying about him arguing the bill, every time)

Dylan

--
It is a dark day...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk