[Gllug] Limiting SSH access

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 10:32:06 UTC 2003

Something that I do on Internet visible boxen is add (with pam) a list of users that CAN
access the box. Here is a complete listing of /etc/pam.d/sshd:
	#%PAM-1.0
**	auth       required     /lib/security/pam_listfile.so sense=allow item=user file=/etc/ssh/sshAuthorisedUsers onerr=fail
	auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
	auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
	account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
	password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
	session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
	session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.so
	session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so

The line flagged '**' is the one that I added.

The file /etc/ssh/sshAuthorisedUsers contains something like:
	addw
	bill
	ben
	weed

I also do something similar with FTP. IMHO the 'standard' ftp mechanism of a list of users who cannot
login is the wrong way round; it stems from the old internet days when, by & large, everyone was
friendly/responsible with just a few bad guys; today it has to be a case of 'guilty until proven
innocent' as far as security is concerned.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk