[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 08:01:14 UTC 2003

FWIW I prefer

Stop says the red light,
Go says the green,
Wait says the amber light,
Winking in-between.

IMHO people should be given tax rebates to encourage them to cycle
rather than clog up and pollute the roads with their cars.

Regards,
Mark Preston

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 10:37, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 10:13, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> > Besides, if it's a pedestrian crossing and there's not a pedestrian in
> > sight...where's the harm? If I inch forward at a junction with traffic
> > lights and see no traffic in either direction, where's the harm?
>
> It's illegal. Traffic lights are _not_ optional.  At a red light, you
> must stop.  At a red/amber light, you must stop. At an amber light, you
> must stop.
Amber is stop with other provisions:

AMBER means 'Stop' at the stopline. You may go on only if the AMBER
appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that
to pull up might cause an accident

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs01.shtml

:-)

Xander