[Gllug] OT'ish: BBC News Coverage and Sobig Virus

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Sun Aug 24 11:57:45 UTC 2003

On Fri 22 Aug Paul Lee wrote:
> This got quite big billing on this evenings BBC news. However absolutely
> no mention of "Microsoft" throughout the bulletin.  Neither was it
> pointed that only Microsoft Operating Systems get infected.
>
> Indeed no mention of "Microsoft" in this BBC article and "Windows" is
> only referred to once.

somebody thinks they've noticed:

Virus feeds on Microsoft's weakness
John Naughton
Sunday August 24, 2003
The Observer

We must be thankful for small mercies. As media hysteria grew over the
latest version of the Sobig email virus, there were signs that a
significant penny had dropped. For amid the usual headlines of 'computer
bugs' and 'internet' viruses there were indications that media folk were
staring to see where the problem lay.

'A deluge of Windows viruses', said BBC Online, 'is causing huge
problems for computer users round the world.' Quite. The report went on
to explain that the disruption caused by Sobig F came just as network
managers had finished clearing up after the Welchi and MSBlast worms -
both pests that also exploited vulnerabilities in Microsoft software...

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,6903,1028315,00.html

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."