[Gllug] [mildly OT] minimal adsl routers?

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 22:56:14 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 13 Aug 2003 4:39 pm, Jonathan Dye wrote:

> I got one of the CA64Es (4 port version) the other day and I've not managed
> to get my ADSL connection working yet.  I think it is probably the line
> rather than anything else as I've tried plugging the router directly into
> the bt master box (without the front plate) with several different cables
> with no luck.  The diagnostics page on the router usually fails the "ADSL
> Connection Test" test which is before the ATM and PPPoATM tests so I
> suspect its the line.  I've ended up calling my ISP who will escalate this
> to BT but I wondered if anyone else had similar problems with ADSL?

Yes - ADSL is not at all tolerant of poor lines.  BT lines are almost
invariably poor (some are over 80 years old in parts of London), so ADSL
doesn't ever work very well.  All my neighbours who tried ADSL from various
providers have moved to Telewest (cable) connection - many are using their
2Mb service.

> As for the router itself it has a bridge mode which will pass through the
> raw ethernet traffic as well as being able to route non-NATd subnets.
>
> > (The only problem is getting anything out of bloody Dabs. Everything
> > I've ordered from them so far has never turned up...)
>
> They delivered mine fine, not had a bad experience with them.

Dabs have always been good as far as I'm concerned - never a problem.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk