[Gllug] [mildly OT] minimal adsl routers?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 19:31:14 UTC 2003

On Wed 13 Aug, Jonathan Dye wrote:

> I got one of the CA64Es (4 port version) the other day and I've not managed
> to get my ADSL connection working yet.  I think it is probably the line
> rather than anything else as I've tried plugging the router directly into
> the bt master box (without the front plate) with several different cables
> with no luck.  The diagnostics page on the router usually fails the "ADSL
> Connection Test" test which is before the ATM and PPPoATM tests so I suspect
> its the line.  I've ended up calling my ISP who will escallate this to BT
> but I wondered if anyone else had similar problems with ADSL?

   Are you far from the exchange? "ADSL filters" are dual purpose, they
prevent the ADSL carrier from getting lost as well as ensuring that it does
not interfere with other equipment. Make sure that you do not have any
cheapo filters, let alone more than one. BT split off the ADSL at the master
termination box using a specially designed multi-stage replacement filter
which gives a precise cut-off with the correct line termination, anything
less will result in reduced signal. The difference in price between a full
BT spec filter, and a cheapo one plus the BT call-out charge, is
considerable.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk