[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Mon Aug 11 17:07:26 UTC 2003

* Jack Bertram (jack at jbertram.net) wrote:
> But they're breaking the law.  Drivers aren't allowed to go straight
> through (even at deserted pedestrian crossings) despite the saving
> in time, petrol, and wear and tear.

which is tiny compared to a cyclists loss.

> Cyclists cause accidents by doing this.  I've been hit as a pedestrian
> by a cyclist who came through a red light and had to swerve to avoid
> a legitimate vehicle, mounted the pavement and ran me over.

we all have war stories and can point fingers, but cyclists are way
smarter than you average oxford st. pedestrian, and have a far better
awareness of the road than most drivers.

> I cycle frequently to work (using it as exercise) which is a 30 min
> journey from south of the river to the West End.  I use red traffic
> lights as extra exercise (firstly from the extra accel/decel, secondly
> to catch all the lawbreaking idiots who go through the red lights when
> I'm stopped).

<me raises hand as a 'law breaking idiot'>

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com http://www.fractalus.com/steve/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk