[Gllug] Crashes (owing to the heatwave?)

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 12:06:55 UTC 2003

On Fri 08 Aug, Jon Masters wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, John Hearns wrote:
>
> > But if I'm not wrong, if you run a 2.6 kernel on an S390 mainframe you
> > can have hot-swap CPUs.
>
> How have they implemented that for the S390? Is it a Linux feature or a
> partitioning in the hardware which is resized on the fly?
>
> Jon.

   I am definitely not an expert, but I thought that boxes with multiple
processors, (and also multiple boxes working together?) divided the work
into blocks. Any block not completed within a given time could be grabbed
again by a different part of the (dis)organisation. This might be helped by
having multiple access to the work schedule available around the system.
There would obviously be some overheads, but it must be worth the effort.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk