[Gllug] Crashes (owing to the heatwave?)

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Fri Aug 8 09:37:25 UTC 2003

On Fri 08 Aug, Richard Turner bloviated thus:

> Recently I've experienced a few crashes on my home PC whilst creating a
> compilation CD for my friend.  I don't have a Net connection at the
> moment, so Grip sticks all the tracks I rip into the same directory and
> I have to rename them to avoid over-writing later - a couple of times
> when I've been doing this the box has just frozen completely and the
> scroll-lock and caps-lock LEDs on the keyboard have begun to flash
> (about once per second).

That actually doesn't sound like it's necessarily heat related.  A
good way to eliminate the heat possibility is to underclock your CPU.
I've actually done that while I'm sorting out better ventilation.  My
1.4 gig Athlon is now running at 900 megs.  A bit slower, but works
fine.

> Recovering the journal for /usr took ages after the last crash and
> although I don't appear to have lost any data it's a bit worrying!  A
> quick Google hasn't really produced any results for me except the
> possibility of a nasty kernel crash.  Any ideas/info for me please
> folks?

The journal part is probably because you had stacks of uncommitted
writes from ripping the CD.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "The problem with political jokes is they get elected."
- Henry Cate