[Gllug] Crashes (owing to the heatwave?)

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 10:08:02 UTC 2003

On Fri 08 Aug, Richard Turner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently I've experienced a few crashes on my home PC whilst creating a
> compilation CD for my friend.  I don't have a Net connection at the
> moment, so Grip sticks all the tracks I rip into the same directory and
> I have to rename them to avoid over-writing later - a couple of times
> when I've been doing this the box has just frozen completely and the
> scroll-lock and caps-lock LEDs on the keyboard have begun to flash
> (about once per second).
>
> Recovering the journal for /usr took ages after the last crash and
> although I don't appear to have lost any data it's a bit worrying!  A
> quick Google hasn't really produced any results for me except the
> possibility of a nasty kernel crash.  Any ideas/info for me please
> folks?

   A memtest or non-destructive badblocks check may show a problem, but it
could still just be an overheating problem because the hardware and/or disc
calibration suffers with the increased workload at the higher temperatures.
   The theory that pulse shapes are clean-cut and rectangular, with precise
pulse delays around the box, do not match with reality at the best of times.
   Other possible problems include connectors, motherboard cracks, and poor
soldering, but you could find previously unseen faults waiting to appear
which could otherwise remain dormant for the life of the box.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk