[Gllug] [mildly OT] minimal adsl routers?

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 22:26:30 UTC 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, David Damerell yowled:
> On Tuesday, 12 Aug 2003, Nix wrote:
>>But the only ADSL ethernet devices I've come across so far (all
>>admittedly cheapo ones bought by and for others) are these hulking great
>>feature-ridden monstrosities that provide primitive NAT, equally
>>primitive firewalling and so on, and normally don't provide a way of
>>turning the NAT and firewalling *off*.
>
> What about the AMX CA61E?
>
> <http://adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2002/q1/amx-ca61e.asp>
>
> We have one; they're cheap as dirt, and as far as I can see all the
> NAT and port blocking junk can be turned off.

I was looking at that today and was tempted, but the adslguide review
didn't mention that the NAT and firewalling could be disabled. One last
question, then, as you've got one of these beasties: it's got this port
80 web junk, turnable down (but not off) in hardware: will that block me
from forwarding port 80 through to the inside? I'd much rather do that.

(When I say `disabled', I mean `*everything* passed through'; no ports
closed at the ASDL modem itself. I do that later on, after snorting and
so forth. And, no, snort's not running in the same address space as
either the firewall or the host that looks like but is not the firewall,
thanks to the wonders of UML and tun.)

--
`That sound you hear is configure wailing, "MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSS!" as it
 overwrites Multilib with Primary.' --- Phil Edwards

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk